Monday, September 25, 2006

A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints



I went into my screening of A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints not knowing anything about this movie, other than that the one sheet made me think it might have something to do with superheroes. Little did I know I was going to become immersed in a New York drama set in 1986 about a group of friends, and all the highs and lows that befall them. The person leading the story is Dito Montiel who also wrote the book A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. This is an interesting film because we know we are watching a movie, yet at the same time we also are aware that the person who directed this movie is showing us a piece of his life. At about forty minutes in I realized that I was watching one of the best, American coming of age tales since American Graffiti, Mean Streets and Stand by Me. I wish I could stand on a street corner all day telling people how terrific this film is. ~Evan “Mushy” Jacobs